June 15-17th, 2018
Gettysburg was the most important battle of the Civil War, and Vermonters fought bravely at its most critical moment. Today, the battlefield is a beautiful and meaningful memorial that every American should visit. Come explore the battle and the Civil War with the Town of Brandon Recreation Department and Vermont historian Dr. Kevin Thornton.
Kevin Thornton is a graduate of Yale, the University of Virginia (where he was the research assistant of the Bancroft-Award-winning Civil War historian Edward Ayers), and the University of Michigan. He specializes in and publishes on the 19th Century history of the United States, and has taught at the Universities of Michigan and Vermont. He teaches UVM’s Civil War course. He recently wrote, directed and produced Death in the Wilderness: A Love Story, a documentary about Civil War Vermont that was Vermont PBS’s highest ever-rated Vermont-made film.
Day 1, Friday June 15
- Morning: Travel via Premier Coach to Gettysburg
- Afternoon: Visit to the Gettysburg Museum of the Civil War, including admission to the film A New Birth of Freedom and the world-famous, fully-restored cyclorama painting depicting Pickett’s Charge, the climactic moment of the battle.
- Evening: Lecture and discussion about the political, diplomatic and strategic contexts of the battle of Gettysburg
Day 2, Saturday June 16
- Morning: Three-hour tour of the battlefield led by an expert battlefield guide, with an emphasis on Vermont’s critical role in the fighting.
- Afternoon: Free-time to explore. Battle re-enactors will be on the field by the Vermont monument.
- Evening: Lecture and discussion on the meaning of the Gettysburg Address
- Bonus: Film, Death in the Wilderness: A Love Story, Dr. Thornton’s documentary about Civil War Vermont.
Day 3, Sunday June 17
- Morning: Visit to the Gettysburg National Cemetery, scene of the Gettysburg Address.
- Afternoon: Return to Vermont
- 2 nights’ lodging at historic Gettysburg College
- 4 meals: 2 breakfasts, 2 dinners
- Gettysburg battlefield, museum, and Visitor’s Center
- Guided tour by an expert, licensed battlefield guide, emphasizing Vermont’s role
- Lectures and film by Dr. Thornton
- Premier Coach transportation
What’s not included:
- Lunch (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)